Skin tags are flaps of the tissues that protrudes from the surface of the skin and are attached to the skin through a stalk. Although they are commonly found on the neck, eyelids, and armpits, they may form in any part of the body including in and around the anus.
Anal skin tags are often confused with hemorrhoids and warts. In the beginning, you may not even be aware of their appearance as they do not cause any symptoms. But as they grow and increase in number they become an issue of embarrassment and inconvenience. These anal skin tags/rectal skin tags, also known as hypertrophied papillae or fibroepithelial polyps usually occur at the opening of the anus. You must be wondering how did they get there. So let us first discuss causes of anal skin tags.
What Are The Causes Of Anal Skin Tags
About 50 percent of the population suffers from skin tags. It is more common after middle age, in obese individuals, and in females. In some people, it can be an indication of type-2 diabetes or may run in families. But when talking about anal skin tags, there are different reasons responsible for their appearance. Usually, rectal tags are formed as a result of coping with anal tears or fissures. The reasons behind the tears and fissures around the anus are as follows:
- Constipation – Constipation causes dryness of stool. It makes the stool compressed and hard. When constipated, the passing stool becomes a painful process that causes stress and results into fissures.
- Rectal Surgery – Rectal skin tags may be formed due to the healing process that follows surgery.
- Childbirth – Complicated and painful childbirth results in anal skin tags.
- Anal Intercourse – Performing anal sex without proper lubrication may also be a cause.
Although anal skin tags are usually harmless, painless and non-contagious but they are very annoying. They become a matter of concern when they irritate you while wiping or cleaning with a toilet paper. Their appearance may make you feel awkward in front of your partner and to lose your self-confidence. This, in turn, affects your sexual life. Also, if you give more sitting, they eventually become big and starts troubling you.
But even after so much of inconvenience caused by rectal skin tags the victim suffers in the silence as talking about it is considered as a matter of shame. But do not worry anymore as there are simple home remedies that can cure it. The best part is that natural methods that are used to remove anal skin tags are totally painless, and also do not require much effort.
Top 6 Home Remedies To Treat Anal Skin Tags
1. Apple cider vinegar- Apple cider vinegar is a very effective home remedy to remove the benign growth. The acidic property of apple cider vinegar attacks the tissues that cause the formation of skin tags.
What to do :
- First of all, clean the affected area properly.
- Soak a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar.
- Place it on the affected area.
- After 5 minutes, remove and discard the cotton swab.
- Again clean the affected area.
- Repeat this 3 times in a day for about a month till the tag turns black, dies and disappears.
* Application of apple cider vinegar may cause a little stinging sensation.
You can also check out : How To Increase Sperm Counts?
2. Tea tree oil- Tea tree oil being a powerful anti-microbial and antiseptic has been used since ages to treat many skin problems including rectal skin tags. It genuinely possesses healing properties. It is organic and safe to be used at home.
- Clean the affected part.
- Dilute tea tree oil using water or jojoba oil in 1:3 ratio.
- Soak a cotton ball with this solution.
- Apply it to the affected part.
- Hold it for a few minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times in a day for a month or 6 weeks to get the result.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Pink Eyes?
3. Garlic– Garlic has antiseptic and antibiotic properties and is also hot in nature. It is a wonderful natural treatment for skin tags.
How to use :
- Clean the affected area.
- Crush a garlic clove to make a paste.
- Apply it on the tag.
- Leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off in the morning.
- Repeat this for a week or till the tag falls.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Love Handles?
4. Castor oil and baking soda- Castor oil is again one of the painless and low budget yet effective home remedy to treat skin tags. It drains all the moisture from the tags. It makes the tag shrivel and then die.
How to use :
- Take half tablespoon castor oil.
- Mix half teaspoon baking soda in it.
- Mix both the ingredients and make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Repeat this 3 times in a day.
- In about 15 days to a month the tag will fall.
You can also check out : 1200 Calorie Diet Plan To Reduce Weight
5. Oxygen deprivation
Oxygen deprivation is not an easy way, but the most efficient way to remove anal tags. In the absence of the oxygen, skin tag will shrink and will fall off naturally. It is better if you use a non-porous material for this purpose which is airtight and prevents the entrance of oxygen into the skin tag.
How to do :
- Apply a numbing ointment to the affected part.
- Now, cover the tag with a bandage.
- Try to keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.
- In the deprivation of the oxygen, the tag will die and fall
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Sinus Infection
6. Baking soda– We all know that baking soda is used in cooking but not many people are aware how useful it is in treating various skin issues. Being a mild exfoliant it not only removes the dead skin cells but also removes skin tags and moles. Regular application of the paste of baking soda dries the skin tag and makes it fall.
How to use :
- Take half teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix the quantity of warm water needed to make a paste
- Apply the paste to the affected area
- Leave it for an hour and then rinse it off
- Repeat this till the tag falls
It is always better if you identify anal skin tags when they are small and treat them with the help of the above-mentioned home remedies. These remedies are totally safe, under your budget, painless and effective. You may try any of them or combinations of them but the time of treatment may vary from person to person and according to the size of the tag.
References : beyonddisease.com | skintagsgone.com