A very common fungal infection most of the men suffers from is jock itch. Also known as ringworm of the groin area, groin rash or tinea cruris, it is a fungal skin infection. As the name suggests, this condition causes intense itching and burning of the affected area. Also, there is a misconception due to its name that this condition affects only jocks or athletes, but it may affect any adolescent boy or men and sometimes even females. But yes, as athletes sweat more and wear wet clothes for a long period, thus it is more common with them. Also, obese people are more likely to be affected by it as the fungus causing it finds the folds of the skin very suitable area to thrive.
Common symptoms of jock itch are as follows
- Persistent itching
- Cracking or peeling of the skin
- The rash gets worse on activities that cause sweating.
Usually, jock itch occurs around the groin and inner thigh. However, it may also spread to the buttocks and abdomen, but scrotum remains unaffected.
The causative agent behind jock itch are dermatophytes, which are a group of fungi. They are present on our skin and many times do not cause any problem. But long-term exposure to sweat soaked clothes becomes a very suitable environment for the rapid growth of these microorganisms. They multiply very quickly and causes infection.
To treat jock itch, your doctor may recommend you some anti-fungal cream. But besides it, there are also some home remedies to provide you relieve and treat your condition. In this article, I have polled various home remedies to help you get rid of jock itch easily and efficiently.
8 Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Jock Itch
1. Apple cider vinegar- Being acidic, apple cider vinegar is very effective against any kind of fungal infection. It restricts the growth of fungi and also kills them. You can also use it to treat jock itch.
How to use?
- Take 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Dilute it by adding the double amount of water.
- Now wash the affected area with this solution.
- Remember not to pat the area dry, but let it dry on its own.
- Repeat this daily 3 times in a day till you get relief.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Pf Post nasal Drop ?
2. Salt bath– Salt has the property to absorb moisture. Thus, when applied to the affected area, it absorbs the excess of sweat and makes it dry. In the absence of suitable environment, the fungi growth stops and your condition improves.
But do not apply salt directly to the affected area or it may cause intense burning. Below are the steps to use it.
What to do?
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of salt in the bath water
- Soak yourself in it
- Wait for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pat yourself dry with a towel
- Repeat this 2 times in a day for a few days.
3.Coconut oil to get rid of jock itch– Being antibacterial, anti-fungal, excellent moisturizer and whitening agent coconut oil had been used since ages to treat many skin problems. Besides reducing redness, it also minimizes the pigmentation and scarring caused due to the infection.
How to use?
Just take a few drops of coconut oil and apply it on the affected area evenly. Repeat this several times in a day. Soon you will find relive in itching, redness and finally will get rid of jock itch. You can also apply coconut oil regularly to your skin to prevent any infection.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Heart Burn?
4. Tea tree oil- The natural anti-fungal properties of tea tree oil makes it the first choice for the treatment of any skin infection. It also possesses fast healing and deep cleansing properties that make it an ideal home remedy for jock itch. It alleviates inflammation and relieves itching.
How to use?
- Dilute tea tree oil with double amount of any carrier oil such as jojoba oil
- Soak a cotton ball with this solution
- Apply it on the affected part
- Repeat this 2 times for a few days.
Alternatively, you may also add a few drops of tea tree oil to your bath water. Soak yourself in it for a few minutes. Repeat this regularly two times in a day, and you will find your symptoms disappear in a few days.
5. Garlic to get rid of jock itch– The antifungal and antibacterial properties of garlic fights against all the infections including skin infections. It also relieves itching and reduces inflammation.
How to use?
- Take a few garlic cloves.
- Crush them to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area.
- Wait for a few minutes.
- Wash off the affected area.
- Repeat this 3 times in a day.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Acne Fast?
* There may be a little burning after applying garlic, but if your skin is sensitive or burning is intense, better avoid this.
Also, include garlic in your cooking or eat it raw to boost up your immunity and keep infections at bay.
6. Onion– Like garlic, onion also possesses anti-microbial properties. Because of the presence of quercetin it acts as a powerful antibiotic. Both these properties of onion are very helpful to get rid of jock itch.
How to use?
- Take an onion.
- Crush it and make a paste.
- Apply it to the affected area.
- Wait for about 20 to 30 minutes
- This is followed by rinsing off the affected area with warm water.
- Pat the area dry with the help of a clean towel.
- Repeat this 2 times in a day for a few days
Also, add onion to your cooking or eat it raw to boost your immunity.
7. Honey– The soothing property of honey is very effective in relieving the symptoms of jock itch. Also being antimicrobial it kills the infection causing microorganisms.
How to use?
Just apply honey on your affected area and leave it for a few minutes. It is followed by rinsing the affected area and then pat it dry. Repeat this every day at least two times.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Ear Infection
8. Rubbing alcohol- Alcohol is a drying agent. By keeping the area clean and dry it prevents the growth of fungi and kills them.
How to use?
- Take a bottle of 90 percent isopropyl alcohol. It is easily available over the counters.
- Soak a cotton ball with it
- Apply it to the affected area
- Repeat this 3 times for a few days.
Besides trying the above-mentioned home remedies also make sure to wear cotton underwear. Change your underwear as soon as it gets wet. Wash your private parts daily and keep them dry. Also if you are overweight try to lose some weight.
Jock itch is not just painful, but also very annoying, irritating and embarrassing. It is better if you get rid of it as soon as possible by using any of the above-mentioned home remedies. The best part is that these home remedies are entirely safe, readily available and 100 percent effective. One more important thing to remember is that the fungus causing jock itch is very contagious. It spreads quickly on coming in close contact with the infected person or their dirty clothes. So better maintain a distance from your partner and do not share your belongings until and unless you get rid of jock itch completely.
References : draxe.com | naturalremedyideas.com