Post nasal drip is also known as an upper airway cough syndrome. It is excessive production of mucus by the nasal mucosa which accumulates in the back of the nose or in the throat.
Glands that are present in the lining of our nose, airways and throat produce a substance known as mucus, that moistens them, humidifies the air entering our respiratory tract and kicks out infection-causing microorganisms and foreign particles. Normally we swallow this mucus and rarely notice it unless we think of it.
How To Stop Post Nasal Drip? – Get Rid Of Post Nasal Drip
During infections and allergic reactions due to overproduction, mucus comes out of the nose or may cause post nasal drip. Usually, it is thin, runny and clear, but in the extreme cases, it becomes sticky, thick and yellow or green color.
Common causes of Post Nasal Drip Are As Follows
- Common cold and flu.
- Spicy foods.
- Certain medications such as medicine for high blood pressure and birth control pills.
- Weather changes, Excessive cold or dry climate.
- Chemical fumes, smoke, and other irritants.
- Deviated septum.
- Nasal polyp
Post Nasal Drip Symptoms
- Constant urge to clear your throat.
- A sore throat.
- Pain in ear and ear infection.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
Treatment of Post Nasal Drip Cough
Treatment depends on the cause. Your doctor may prescribe you antibiotics in case of infection. For symptomatic relief antihistamines and decongestants may be prescribed. These medications may cause drowsiness, dizziness, and dry mouth.
Post nasal drip causes irritation and discomfort. In most of the cases, simple home remedies are effective in alleviating the symptoms.
Below Are Simple Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Post Nasal Drip
1. Gargling with salt water – This is a very effective method to get rid of post nasal drip and also recommended by almost every doctor. Take a cup of lukewarm water and add a half teaspoon of salt to it. Stir it well so that the salt is thoroughly dissolved. Now gargle for about few minutes. Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day to thin the mucus, flush out the irritants, soothe a sore throat and alleviate other symptoms.
2. Drink plenty of water – Drink at least 9 to 10 glasses of water to keep yourself hydrated and thin the mucus. It is better to have warm liquids, for example, chicken soup, tea or broth to soothe throat irritation and inflammation.
You can also check out : How to get rid of heart burn
3. Irrigate your nasal passage –
a) Saline nasal sprays are easily available over the counter. Use them to thin the mucus and ward off the infection, allergens, bacteria and other substance that is irritating the sinus.
b) You may also use a Neti pot for nasal irrigation. For this take a cup of warm water and add one-fourth teaspoon of salt to it. Now add a pinch of baking soda and Stir well. Pour this solution in the Neti pot. Stand over the washbasin and tilt your head and then squirt the prepared solution into one of the nostrils. Now for a few seconds move your head from one side to another and also backward and forward. This will help the solution to reach nasal cavities. After that blow your nose so that excess of mucus is removed along with the solution. Repeat the same process and irrigate the other nostril. Do this once in a day to get rid of post nasal drip. If Neti pot is not available you may use a syringe to squirt the solution in your nose.
4. Massage your nose – In circular motion slowly massage on the sides of the nose for a few minutes. Repeat this again and again to relieve the symptoms.
You can also check out : How to get rid of acne fast
5. Ginger – Ginger is a very effective herbal remedy to get rid of post nasal drip along with relieving sore throat and hoarseness. You can easily find it in your kitchen fridge. It is antibacterial, antiviral and expectorant. It also acts as a decongestant, arrests the excessive production of mucus and wards off excessive mucus. Take a few slices of ginger or grate it. Now put 1 tablespoon of grated ginger or sliced ginger in 2 cups of water and boil it. After 10 minutes, strain the preparation and add half teaspoon honey to it. Ginger tea is prepared. Drink this preparation 2 to 3 times in a day. Alternately, you can also chew slices of ginger 4 to 5 times a day.
6. Humidifier – Humidifier or vaporizers increases the moisture in the air. Turn on vaporizer in your room before sleeping to ease the symptoms like blocked nose, cough, and irritation.
You can also check out : Home remedies for home infection
7. Blow your nose – Everyone blows nose when they catch a cold or suffer from excessive mucus production, but blowing your nose in a correct way is important. While blowing the mucus open your mouth to prevent damage to ears that may occur due to increased pressure.
8. Garlic – Garlic is a powerful antibiotic. It prevents infection, promotes recovery and prevents excessive production of mucus. Take 3 to 4 garlic cloves and grind it properly. Now roast them in 1 teaspoon butter. After 1 minute eat it with warm milk. You may also chew garlic pieces 4 to 5 times in a day.
You can also check out : Home remedies for cold sores
9. Cayenne pepper – Take half teaspoon of cayenne pepper and mix it with half spoon honey. Mix well and take this mixture 3 times a day to get rid of post nasal drip. You may also take a cup of warm water and add a teaspoon cayenne pepper to it. Now mix it well and sip this preparation slowly.
10. Lemon – Lemon is rich in Vitamin C. It boosts body immunity and helps to fight against infection. Take a cup of warm water and squeeze a lemon into it. Add half teaspoon honey and drink this preparation 2 to 3 times in a day. It will loosen mucus and will reduce its production.
You can also check out : Home remedies for sore throat
11. Apple cider vinegar – The alkaline nature of apple cider vinegar thins the mucus and boosts immunity. Take 2 tablespoons of it and mix well with half teaspoon of honey and 1 cup warm water. Drink this preparation 2 times in a day.
12. Steam inhalation – Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil in a bowl with steaming hot water and inhale the vapors covering your head with a towel.This will clear your chest,will thin the muscus and help you to get rid of post nasal drip.
You can also check out : Home remedies for cough instant relief
That is all home remedies, we know how to get rid of post nasal drip. They are effective, natural and easily available at home. In case they don’t work and symptoms continue even after 10 days along with foul smell or blood in nasal drainage, visit your doctor.
References : goodrx.com | livestrong.com