Acne is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, but teenagers are more prone to it. Just when you think you’ve put your teen years behind you, acne creeps up from nowhere, wreaking havoc on your visage, just like old times! Acne can appear on the scalp, face, chest and back. So how do you bid adieu to acne while still keeping your skin youthful and intact?
What Causes Acne?
The cause of acne are numerous, from unhealthy food habits to hectic lifestyles. Here are some of the major contributors to acne:
1. Spicy Food: Eating spicy food irritates your skin which results in the formation of tiny whiteheads on the surface of your skin. Taking a break from spicy food for about a month helps to reduce further breakouts.
2. You use products that clog your pores: Ensure that any skin care product that your procure is labeled noncomedogenic. It means that your makeup or skin care has been specially formulated not to clog your pores.
3. Your hair products damage your skin: This happens a lot due to the chemicals added to your hair products. They run down your face and body causing acne. When you shower, ensure that you tilt your head to a side such that your shampoo and conditioner doesn’t come in contact with your face, chest or back.
4. Smoking too is a major contributor of acne. The only remedy to avoid acne caused by smoking is to avoid smoking.
10 Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid of Acne Fast
Here are some of the best home remedies for acne.
1. Cinnamon and Honey Mask
Sugar and spice make everything nice, doesn’t it? With the stickiness that honey has to offer alongside the spiciness that cinnamon has to offer, comes a magical mask. This dynamic duo helps in the treatment of acne. The antimicrobial properties that cinnamon possesses contribute to inhibiting the growth of bacteria. The antibiotic properties of honey help to eradicate the bacteria in its entirety.
For this remedy:
1. Rinse your face with water and pat dry.
2. To two tablespoons of honey add one teaspoon of cinnamon.
3. Make a paste and apply this to your face.
4. Leave it on for ten or fifteen minutes before washing it off.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Ear Infection
While it’s a healthy way to begin the day, oatmeal also makes for an efficient home remedy to treat acne. It works to cleanse skin pores, thereby absorbing any excess oil. In the process, it also exfoliates your skin.
For this home remedy:
1. Mix the juice of half a lemon, and a teaspoon of honey to a cup of cooked oatmeal.
2. Use this mixture as an exfoliant as you rub it over your skin.
3. Leave it on for about half an hour, after which you can rinse it off with lukewarm water.
4, Repeat this process once or twice every week.
The main reason behind acne is the fact that oil tends to clog your pores. Mint is a home remedy which helps to reverse this scenario.
To help clear acne, follow these steps:
1. Mix two tablespoons of finely chopped mint with two tablespoons of yogurt and oatmeal each.
2. Leave this mixture on your face for ten minutes.
3. Rinse it off with water.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid OF Hemorrhoids?
4. Lemon Juice
Another effective home remedy to treat acne is lemon juice. It helps to clean out dirt that has accumulated on the surface of the skin, clogging pores in return. You can use it on your skin every day if you like, but if you suffer from dry skin then use it every alternate day or so.
For this remedy:
1. Rub a slice of lemon on the affected area.
2. Leave it for about an hour.
3. Wash it off with warm water.
Another remedy you could try out is:
1. Mix lemon juice with rose water in equal proportions.
2. Use this solution to wash the affected area.
Papaya is present in many beauty products available in the market. In natural form, it is the most effective home remedy for treating acne. It helps in the removal of dead skin cells and excessive lipids from the skin leaving it smooth and soft. Papaya has an enzyme, papain which reduces inflammation and helps to prevent the formation of pus in acne.
For this remedy:
1. Rinse your face and pat dry.
2. Mash up one fresh papaya into a fine paste.
3. Apply this to your skin.
4. Leave it on for about fifteen minutes and then wash with warm water.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Cold Sores
When aspirin isn’t bidding a headache adieu, it’s doing the same to acne. The salicylic acid present in aspirin makes it an effective home remedy for acne. It helps to dry up pimples and reduce inflammation.
To make the most of the aspirin, follow these steps:
1. Mash up four tablets of aspirin.
2. Add two tablespoons of water to it so as to make a paste.
3. Apply this on your skin and leave it to dry.
4. Wash off with lukewarm water.
7. Orange Peel
The acidic property alongside the high content of Vitamin C present in orange makes it the perfect home remedy for acne. You could either use the juice or the peel, but the peel has been found to be more effective.
For this remedy:
1. Place an orange peel in the sun and allow it to dry.
2. Grind the dried peel into a powder.
3. Add water to the peel to make a paste.
4. Apply this paste onto the affected area and leave it on for fifteen minutes.
5. Wash your face with warm water.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Sore Throat
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera boasts of anti-inflammatory and soothing properties which help in the treatment of acne. It also contributes to healing acne scars, if any. You can either opt for commercially available aloe vera gel or natural gel from the plant. Apply it on the affected area twice a day.
10. Banana Peel
Bananas are a good source of Potassium, we already know. The peel of the banana hosts a multitude of benefits including the likes of a home remedy for acne. It contains lutein which is an antioxidant which helps to reduce swelling and inflammation. It also encourages healthy cell growth and reduces redness. So before you use banana peels as a vice to trip someone, use it to rid yourself of acne.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Cough
Take a banana peel and rub it all over your face in circular motions. Allow it to sit for at least half an hour before you wash it off.
7 Tips For Preventing Acne
Acne can be prevented in the following ways:
1. Keeping your face clean at all times: This helps to prevent dirt and oil from clogging your pores. Bear in mind, however not to overdo it as this will make the situation worse.
2. Using makeup sparingly: Too much makeup tends to clog your pores up. Keep it simple and to a minimum, and you are ready to go!
3. Avoid touching your face constantly: It might be quite tempting to pluck at your pimples, but this does more damage than it does well.
4. Exercise regularly: It is important to exercise daily as this improves your overall blood circulation, thereby keeping acne at bay.
5. Keep away from the sun: Using sunscreen or a hat to protect your skin from the harsh UV rays helps to prevent acne.
6. Lead a stress-free life: Pent up stress is a major trigger for acne. Make sure you work out or meditate so as to release stress.
7. Incorporate fruits and vegetables in your diet.
The next time your skin breaks out instead of going out on a limb to purchase expensive cosmetics, turn to these home remedies. Firstly, they do not burn a hole in your pocket, and secondly, they have no side effects whatsoever. Let’s show acne who’s boss with these home remedies!
References : rd.com | everydayroots.com