In this article, we will discuss a common bacterial infection that causes scratchy and sore throat. This is strep throat that spreads easily and commonly attacks the school children and teenagers. However, adults may also be affected by it. Unlike other cases of a sore throat, strep throat is not a viral infection but is caused by the bacteria Streptococcus spp. Being contagious, it easily spreads on coughing, sneezing and even kissing or sharing food and drinks.
Speaking in the medical terms Strep throat is defined as the swelling and the inflammation of the mucous membrane that lines the tonsils and the back of the throat.
Like a viral sore throat that does not require antibiotic coverage and resolves on its own, strep throat is also short term and takes a few days to a week to resolve. However, it is very important to identify and treat it promptly to avoid complications. To identify any disease, we should have the knowledge of the symptoms that are displayed. So let us acknowledge the symptoms of strep throat.
What Are The Symptoms Of The Strep Throat?
The symptoms of the strep throat may vary from mild to severe range. Sufferer first complains of a sudden sore throat. There is also redness and swelling of the tonsils and in the back of the throat. Making swallowing painful, strep throat limits your fluid intake causing a varying degree of dehydration in the absence of adequate amount of fluid.
The common symptoms of the strep throat are:
- A sore throat
- Swollen and red tonsils.
- The lymph nodes on the sides of the upper neck are also swollen and tender.
- There may be white patches on the tonsils.
Other symptoms that may be experienced are
- Pain in abdomen
- Vomiting and nausea
- Loss of appetite
- Small red spots on hard palate or soft palate.
- Headache and
- Skin rashes.
The symptoms of a viral sore throat are very similar to strep throat, but in a viral sore throat, runny nose, hoarseness, cough, weakness, muscle pain, diarrhea, mouth ulcers and redness of eyes are more likely.
Treatment for Strep Throat
Now lets us come to the most important part and that is the treatment. As we have discussed earlier that it is very important to take prompt action to treat strep throat to avoid complications such as rheumatic fever, pediatric immune neuropsychiatric disorders, and glomerulonephritis.
The symptoms of strep throat are enough to drive you to the doctor who will prescribe you antibiotics. But seriously, no drug is needed to treat strep throat and natural home remedies are enough to to get rid if it. Our article is intended to introduce you to natural home remedies for strep throat.
Natural Home Remedies For Strep Throat Treatment
1. Apple cider vinegar- Apple cider vinegar has proved its medicinal importance since ages. It acts wonderfully in any case of a sore throat and also helps to get rid of a strep throat fast.
How to use?
Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and gargle with it for 10 minutes. You will find relief in your symptoms in just 30 minutes. Repeat this several times in a day.
Alternatively, you may add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey to a cup of warm water and sip it to get the optimal result.
You can also check out : How to get rid of Jock Itch?
2. Lemon– Being rich in vitamin C, lemon limits the growth of the bacteria. It also boosts the immunity.
What to do?
Take a tablespoon of lemon juice and add it to a glass of warm water. Also, add a teaspoon of honey to this solution. Mix well and drink it slowly 3 times in a day for several days.
Honey is also a well known natural antiseptic that reduces soreness of throat and keeps the throat moisturized.
3 . Cayenne pepper– Again it is an amazing home remedy to treat strep throat, effectively and has been used traditionally since ages for this purpose.
What to do?
Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a teaspoon of honey or enough water to make a paste. Rub the paste on the back of your throat. This will ease the symptoms of strep throat. Alternately You may add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of warm water. You may also squeeze a few drops of lemon juice to it. Gargle with this solution for 10 minutes. Repeat this several times a day.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Post Nasal Drip?
4. Sage– Sage, however, not recommended for nursing and pregnant women, for others it has acted wonderfully in treating strep throat. It is bestowed with antibacterial properties. Besides restricting the growth of bacterias it also reduces swelling and inflammation.
What to do?
Add a teaspoon of dried sage to a cup of steaming water and steep for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, strain and drink the concoction. Repeat this 2 times a day.
5. Cinnamon– Possessing antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, cinnamon has proven itself as a very effective home remedy to treat strep throat.
What to do?
Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a teaspoon of honey to one cup of warm water. Drink this solution 3 times a day for a few days.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Heart Burn?
6. Chamomile tea- To provide some relief to the pain, you may have chamomile tea. Being anti-inflammatory as well as analgesic it not only reduces inflammation but also reduces a headache.
What to do?
Steep 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in 1 cup of steaming water. After 15 minutes, strain and drink the solution. Repeat this 3 times till the symptoms subside.
7. Onion- Being antibacterial onion kills the bacteria. It also acts as a natural antiseptic and speeds the recovery.
What to do?
Extract the juice of freshly cut onion. Mix 3 tablespoon of onion juice to a glass of warm water. Gargle with this solution several times in a day. Alternatively, you may also chew raw pieces of onion.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Acne Fast?
8. Warm water and salt- This is the most common home remedy to treat strep throat. It soothes the throat by reducing the redness and swelling.
What to do?
Add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Gargle with it for 10 minutes. Repeat this several times in a day.
* If you have hypertension better avoid this.
In the case, none of the home remedies to treat strep throat seems to relieve your symptoms, do not hesitate to call a doctor. However, in most of the cases with the above-mentioned home remedies, proper rest, eating light or soothing foods and drinking lots of water, you are sure to say goodbye to the strep throat within 3 days to a week. The best part is that these natural solutions also boost your immune system making you less susceptible to the diseases.
References : www.emedicinehealth.com | www.healthline.com