Let me introduce you to one of the popular lavender essential oil which is used for culinary, pharmaceutical as well as dietary purposes. Famous for its flavor, fragrance, and versatility it is known to trigger your sensations, clear your mind and ward off stress. Possessed with specific clean aroma this is Lavender essential oil which is widely used for the religious, medicinal purposes and aromatherapy. However, its health benefits go beyond its calming aroma. It relieves muscle and nervous tension, eases the pain, promotes the circulation of blood and treats respiratory and skin diseases.
Before getting into detail about the uses and benefits of this potent essential oil let us first, discuss how it is extracted.
How is Lavender Essential Oil extracted?
Lavender essential oil is extracted from the beautiful and scented lavender flowers. The lavender plant is an evergreen and easy to grow shrub. It is found in the mountainous Mediterranean regions and north Africa. It is also grown in the US, Australia, and southern Europe.
History Of Lavender Essential Oil
You will be amazed to acknowledge the history of this oil. It was used by the Egyptians for the mummification. It was also used by them in perfumes. Even the Romans used this oil in cooking, bathing and as air fresheners. In medieval Europe, it was scattered over the floors of the stone castle as a natural disinfectant and a deodorizer.
In the 17th century, when London was fighting with great plague people used to tie lavender flower around their waist to protect themselves from death.
Today lavender oil is popular for its versatility and fragrance. It has analgesic, antiseptic, antibacterial sedative, detoxification, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
Health Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil
1. Calms the mind- Amygdala gland is an emotional warehouse of our mind. When the scent of lavender essential oil reaches amygdala gland it relaxes the mind. It wards off anxiety, depression, stress, restlessness and induces sleep.
Just rub 3 to 4 drops of the oil on your palms and inhale it. You may also rub it on your forehead, temple, and wrist for immediate soothing and calming effect. If you are suffering from insomnia, Put a few drops of it on your pillow to induce sleep. You may add it with the equal quantity of carrier oil and massage babies at night or may add it to the baby’s bedtime bath. You will be amazed by the result when you will find your baby sleeping like an angel.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Lemongrass Essential Oil
2. Skin problems- Lavender essential oil is very useful in treating insect bites, bee sting, cuts, minor burns, eczema, and dermatitis. Just put a few drops of it on an insect bite, bee sting and cuts to reduce swelling, stop the bleeding and kill bacteria. If you have a cut do not waste time and disinfect the wounds with this oil as soon as possible. This will prevent infection. Also in the case of fever blisters apply a drop of it on the cold sore to treat it.
In the case of eczema and dermatitis just mix a few drops of lavender essential oil with a vegetable oil for example coconut oil or sesame oil and apply over the affected area. Repeat this for a few weeks and you will find relief in your symptoms.
3. Nausea and vomiting- Do you fear traveling in cars and buses up to long distance because of motion sickness. Jut place a drop of lavender essential oil on the tip of your tongue, around the navel and behind the ears. You will be amazed to find relief in the symptoms of nausea and vomiting. This also relieves from motion sickness and soothes stomach discomfort.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Cascara Sagrada
4. Cosmetics– Lavender oil is used in various lotions and body or face creams. It is very effective in restoring the skin complexion. You may rub it on your chapped and dry skin to get a smooth and glowing skin. It can also be applied to sunburned or chapped lips to make them smooth and hydrated. If you are suffering from acne and dark spots apply it in diluted form on the affected areas for a few weeks and acne & dark spots will disappear. So next time when you go to buy cosmetics look for products that contain lavender essential oil.
5. Fever– Antipyretics are not the only solutions to subside fever. Take a few drops of lavender essential oil on your clean cloth or palm and inhale it at regular intervals to ease the symptoms of fever such as body ache, headache along with balancing the body temperature.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Cedarwood Essential Oil
6. Hair care- If you are suffering from dandruff and other dermatological issues then lavender oil may be a very good solution for you. Take some oil and rub it gently on your scalp. Leave it for an hour and then have a head bath. Being anti-fungal it helps you to get rid of dandruff. Apart from this, you will also find your hair become smooth and shiny.
7. Add flavor to your recipes– If your taste buds are lurking for some new flavors try the lavender essential oil. It is edible and also add flavor to recipes. Add it to brownies, bars, dessert, raw chocolate, cookies and salad dressing and enjoy the yummy food.
8. Improves body immunity- Do you suffer from frequent cold, sore throat and other infections. Maybe you need to boost up your immunity. The lavender essential oil contains glutathione, SOD, and catalase. These are powerful antioxidants that fight against the free radicals and prevents the oxidative damage. It even prevents cancer by restricting the growth of cancer causing cells. Also, it exhibits antibacterial, antifungal and antibiotic property and thus protects us against various diseases.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Peppermint Essential Oil
9. Prevents diabetes– Research shows that lavender essential oil has been found to protect the body against the rise in blood glucose level and metabolic disorders. In this way it prevents diabetes.
10. Protects diseases of liver and kidney- By preventing the depletion of antioxidants and lipoperoxidation this oil prevents the kidney and liver from damage and dysfunction.
One of the questions that may arise in your mind after knowing the health benefits of this oil is how to use it?; Below are some suggestions for the same.
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil?
- You may add a few drops of lavender essential oil to lotions, face creams, shampoo, and other skin and hair products.
- Add a few drops of it to bath water and soak yourself in it for a few minutes.
- After adding few drops of this oil to any carrier oil have a whole body massage to relax muscles and mind.
- You may directly apply this oil to acne, cold sore, and wounds with the help of a cotton ball.
- Rub the oil on your pillow or on a cotton cloth and inhale it to relieve respiratory symptoms.
- To treat cracked heels Clean your heels and rub lavender essential oil on the affected part. Repeat this daily before going to sleep for few weeks.
- Vaporize it in your room or office.
However, while using lavender oil, keep these 3 points in mind :
- Not much research has been done on the effect of this oil on pregnant and nursing women, so it is not recommended for them.
- Lavender essential oil may effect level of hormones, in boys who are reaching puberty. Thus, boys reaching puberty should avoid it.
- If you have a sensitive stomach better avoid ingesting it.
You have now 10 reasons to incorporate lavender essential oil in your life. You may also carry a small bottle of this oil in your pocket as your first aid.
While selecting high-quality lavender essential oil, remember that it has a sweet, slightly woody, floral and herbaceous scent. The color of this oil ranges from colorless to pale yellow to yellow-green. So make the right choice and incorporate it in your life to stay healthy.
Reference : netherfield.co.nz