Exhausted after a dragging day and looking for some natural solution to relax your mind and body. Just take few drops of peppermint essential oil, add it with some carrier oil for example jojoba oil and apply to your neck and head. The tingling and cooling sensation on your skin will not only relax your muscles but will also provide a sense of positivity and peace. The refreshing aroma will invigorate your senses and clear the mind.
Peppermint essential oil is extracted from peppermint plant leaves. This plant contains menthol, which is an organic compound that has anesthetic properties, provides a cooling sensation and alleviates discomfort naturally.
Our ancestors were well acknowledged of its benefits. Peppermint is one of the oldest herbs that was used by the Europeans, Chinese, Japanese and Greeks to cure many health issues. History shows that oil of this plant was widely used by the Romans and in Egyptian pyramids. In various cultures, it is a symbol of hospitality and warmth.
The health benefits of peppermint essential oil and the ability to treat various ailments make it a cost effective and natural solution which can replace other pharmaceutical drugs. There are only a few medical issues, of mind, body, and health where it is unable to help. Because of this, it is one of the staple oil found in most of the people’s medical cabinet. In this article, we will discuss in details the health benefits and uses of peppermint essential oil.
12 Heath Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Improves digestion- Most of the time when we suffer from indigestion we are advised to take peppermint herb in form of dietary supplements to soothe the symptoms. It has carminative properties and helpful in aiding digestion. It helps in expelling gas and relieves flatulence, abdominal distension, and pain. Similarly, peppermint essential oil also has been found to ease a variety of digestive problems, such as heartburn, gastrointestinal cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and irritable bowel syndrome.
It has also been found useful to restrict the overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the small intestine. If you are suffering from the abdominal pain you must try it. It will decrease abdominal muscle spasm by blocking the calcium channels.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Lemon Grass Essential Oil
2. Relieves muscle pain- Peppermint essential oil is a natural painkiller and also known as an effective muscle relaxant. It soothes a backache and muscle soreness. Its application relieves inflammation and also calm the muscle cramps and spasm. Research shows that it has also been found to relieve pain that is associated with Myofascial Pain Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.
3. Relieves a headache– Today! hectic lifestyle, professional and social stress is enough to give you a tension headache. No need to take painkillers and stress your kidneys to get relief. Just apply a few drops of peppermint essential oil to your temples and the pain will disappear. Even inhaling its aroma has also been found effective in addressing the pain. In case you are prone to headaches, I will advise to keep a small bottle in your pocket, purse or on your desk. It not just relieves the pain, but also lessens the other associated symptoms such as vomiting, noise, and light sensitivity, and nausea. In the case of a migraine, add a few drops to a carrier oil and apply over the temples, back of the neck, sinus, and forehead to soothe the pressure and pain. Remember to avoid its contact with eyes as it may cause burning of the eyes.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Cascara Sagrada
4. Relieves stress– Peppermint essential oil is a great stress buster. Its refreshing aroma wards off the depression, anxiety, restlessness, and mental exhaustion. Besides, it also clears the mind and raises the energy levels. Inhaling its fresh aroma has also been found in improving the concentration and makes a person more alert.
5. Skin Health– Having an oily skin is really frustrating and annoying. Extra sebum on your face results in pimples, acne, and other skin problem. By reducing the oil secretion, peppermint essential oil prevents acne. It is also beneficial for those having dry skin as it heals dry and cracked skin. It is often used as an ingredient in lip balms to treat dry and chapped lips. Apply it on a skin rash or poison ivy after mixing it with lavender essential oil. This will give a cooling sensation and will soothe itching and burning. It has also been found effective in relieving the symptoms of herpes infection. Being lipophilic in nature, it passes through the skin. Thus, in cases of recurrent infection of herpes, it is a beneficial and ideal treatment. You can also use it on the shingles rash to relief the pain. It is also beneficial in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
6. Hair care– Pollution, stress sun and poor hair care makes your scalp dry. A dry scalp is a culprit behind most of the dermatological issues. If you are suffering from dry scalp, dandruff or lice, you can trust peppermint essential oil to get rid of them. It’s antimicrobial and antiseptic properties help to eliminate dandruff and lice. It can also improve the quality of your frizzy hair and make hair thick and long.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Cedarwood Essential Oil
Add a few drops to your shampoo to stimulate and improve blood circulation to the scalp.
7. Respiratory benefits– Menthol present in it provides relief from many respiratory problems such as nasal congestion, asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, common cold and cough. Whenever you are suffering from a congestive cough, rub 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil on your chest. This will clear your lungs and relieve congestion. You may also try steam inhalation by an adding a few drops to the steaming water.
8. Dental care- Peppermint has been traditionally used since ages to treat bad breath. It is an important ingredient in many kinds of toothpaste and mouthwashes. The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of peppermint essential oil prevent the formation of the biofilm on the teeth. Thus, it also prevents cavities. If your infant is suffering from toothache; take 1 drop and mix with 3 drops of carrier oil. Now apply and rub it on the gum area to provide relief.
You can also check out :
9. Prevents cancer–
- Due to the presence of methanol, it inhibits the growth of prostate cancer cells. (https://draxe.com/peppermint-oil-uses-benefits)
- It also protects against the DNA damage and prevents the cell death that is caused by radiation.(https://draxe.com/peppermint-oil-uses-benefits)
10. PCOS treatment– More than 50 percent women today suffers from hormonal imbalance. Research shows that peppermint essential oil exhibits antiandrogen properties. So if you are suffering from the polycystic ovarian disease, peppermint oil will help you to balance the level of hormone. (https://draxe.com/peppermint-oil-uses-benefits)
11. Bug repellent– Its smell is intolerable by spiders, ticks, mosquitoes, mice, houseflies, ants and cockroaches. Add a few drops of it to floor cleaners to ward off bugs.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil
12. Fever– The cooling effect of peppermint essential oil lowers the temperature and thus is a natural way to bring the fever down especially in children. For this, mix it with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or coconut oil and rub on your child’s neck, back, and bottom of the feet.
The long list of the benefits of the peppermint essential oil is very appealing and makes it an effective home remedy for many ailments. But remember, it is concentrated and intense than other commonly used essential oils. It is usually safe when applied topically, but it is important to dilute it with some carrier oil like jojoba oil, almond oil or coconut oil. Some people may experience an allergic rash or burning sensation, especially if they have a sensitive skin.
As it is intense, do not use it on young children directly. In low amounts, it is safe for most of the adults, but in sensitive people, it can trigger side effects.
Individual to avoid use of peppermint essential oil are:
- Nursing women – As it may decrease the production of milk.
- During pregnancy
- On Infants and small children, it should be used after diluting.
- Diabetics – As it may raise your risk of hypoglycemia.
- Acid reflux, heartburn and hiatal hernia – Peppermint relax the lower esophageal sphincter and increases the risk of acid reflux.
An overdose of peppermint essential oil has been found to cause certain side effects such as skin rashes, rapid or slow breathing, pain, diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, urinary incontinence and unconsciousness so it is better, consult your doctor before using it.
However, by using peppermint oil in right amounts, say few drops mixed with equal amount of carrier oil; is very effective in easing the symptoms of a number of ailments. You will found it really helpful and effective.
References : draxe.com | articles.mercola.com | webmd.com | mightynest.com