Have you ever been in a situation where you get up in the morning only to find your eyes sticky and burning or pink eye? Looking into the mirror, you find your eyes red and the eyelids, swollen. You might try to remember if you have by accident injured your eyes. But the answer comes, “No”. Then what is it? Any kind of infection?
Yes, you have probably got pink eye. In this article, we will take a look at the symptoms and causes of the pink eye along with several home remedies to treat it. But first, let us know what is pink eye?
Pink eye is the inflammation of the conjunctiva which is a thin and transparent tissue that lines the inner surface of the eyelids. Hence, Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis.
Most of the people think that only children get contracted by conjunctivitis but this condition may affect any age group. However, children, daycare workers, and teachers are more at the risk of viral and bacterial conjunctivitis.
You must be wondering what causes conjunctivitis? Well, the most common cause is no doubt virus and bacteria but there are other causes too, such as:
- Smoke and pollutants
- Contact lenses
- Shampoo and eye cosmetics
- Swimming pool water containing chlorine.
Irrespective of the causes, the sign and the symptoms of pink eye are almost similar. Thus even for a doctor, it sometimes becomes very difficult to determine the exact cause. But it is very important to acknowledge the common symptoms to self-diagnose the disease. Let we give a quick look at the common symptoms:
- Burning, Itching, and irritation in eyes are the foremost symptoms.
- Increased sensitivity to the light.
- Sensation as if there is sand in eyes known as gritty sensation.
- In many cases, eyelids get swollen and crusted.
Symptoms of Pink Eye Conjunctivitis
1. Symptoms of viral and bacterial conjunctivitis
In the case of viral and bacterial conjunctivitis, usually, there is a history of contact with another infected person. After the contact with the infected person, the symptoms take 2 to 3 weeks to develop. Usually, first, one eye is infected and then soon infection spread to another eye. Also, there may be associated upper respiratory tract infection, runny nose, and sore throat. If the discharge from the eye is greenish yellow or sticky yellow and sticks the eyelids together it indicates a bacterial infection whereas the incidence of viral conjunctivitis mostly flares up in summers and monsoons.
2. Symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis
In the case both the eyes are affected and there is a watery discharge along with burning and red eyes it may be due to allergens and irritants.
Whatever the cause of pink eye may be, the discomfort and pain caused by it will compel you to look out for ways to get rid of pink eye. It is always recommended to consult your doctor first. Although the viral infection clears up on its own in a few days even without medical intervention still your doctor may give you some eye drops to soothe your symptoms and may prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary infection of eyes. Make sure not to share your eye drops with others and discard it once the pink eye is treated.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Cedarwood Oil
Treatments and Home Remedies for Pink Eye
1. Treatment of viral conjunctivitis
Although the viral infection clears up on its own in a few days even without medical intervention still your doctor may give you some eye drops to soothe your symptoms and may prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary infection of eyes. Make sure not to share your eye drops with others and discard it once the pink eye is treated.
2. Treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis
If it is bacterial conjunctivitis it will require an antibiotic course. Beware of the fact that if bacterial conjunctivitis if left untreated it may result in serious complications.
3. Treatment of allergic conjunctivitis
In the case of allergic conjunctivitis, allergic medications are prescribed. The doctor may also prescribe preventive medicines that should be taken before allergy season flares up to prevent pink eye.
Medicines will take their time to cure but the pain and inflammation persuade you to look for alternative methods to soothe the symptoms and hasten the cure. Do not worry because we will now introduce you to certain home remedies that are totally safe and very effective in getting rid of pink eye.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Milia?
9 Top Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye
1. Warm compress– The burning and swelling of pink are so uncomfortable that it may not let you sleep. To soothe the symptoms you may try a warm compress.
What to do?
- Soak 2 clean cotton swabs in 2 separate bowls of warm water.
- Strain one of them and place on your closed eyelids.
- Now press gently.
- Repeat this a few minutes.
It is always better warm compress one eye first. After this wash your hands properly with soap and water. Now warm compress another eye, in the same way, using the other cotton swab. Make sure to discard the cotton swabs and clean the bowls, properly with soapy water after completing the procedure.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Scabies?
2. Coconut milk and honey to get rid of pink eye– The antimicrobial properties of honey and the cooling effect of coconut milk are sure to amaze you. It not only lessens the red eye but also reduces burning and inflammation.
What to do?
- Take a tablespoon fresh coconut milk and an equal quantity of honey.
- Mix them properly.
- With the help of a clean and sterile eye dropper, put a few drops in both the eyes.
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times a day.
* Be prepared as it burns and stings for a few seconds, but is sure an effective home remedy to treat pink eye.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Bruises?
3. Apple cider vinegar– If you are looking for a home remedy to treat pink eye in less than 24 hours, try apple cider vinegar. It has helped a lot of people and so may be quite effective in your case too. Besides reducing the redness and discharge it also eases the itch.
What to do?
- Take a teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it with a cup of distilled water.
- You may also boil the tap water and then cool it down to serve the purpose.
- Mix properly.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of this mixture in both your eyes.
- Repeat this 3 times a day.
You can also check out : Health Benefits Of Pepperment Essential Oil
4. Saline water and lemon- By this home remedy, you can get rid of a pink eye just in a day.
What to do?
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Now cool it down and add a teaspoon of salt to it.
- Now squeeze a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Rinse your eyes with this solution.
- Repeat this several times a day.
- It is more effective if this is followed by a cold compress for 10 minutes.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Sinus Infection
5. Cucumber slices to get rid of pink eyes– Cucumber has cooling property, thus, it is very effective in soothing pain and discomfort. Take two slices of fresh cucumber and place it on your closed eyelids. You may also use potato slices for the same purpose. Repeat this several times a day. Discard the slices soon after use.
6. Green tea bags– Green tea is rich in antioxidants and thus very effective in reducing inflammation. Learn how to use it to treat conjunctivitis.
How to use?
- Take 2 tea bags and steep them in steaming water.
- After 15 minutes, remove them from the boiling water and put them in the refrigerator.
- After an hour take them out and place on your closed eyelids.
- After 15 minutes, discard them.
You can also check out : 1200 Calorie Diet Plan To Reduce Weight
7. Boric powder to get rid of pink eye– It relieves burning and pain. Use it 3 times a day till the infection is cleared.
How to use?
- Take 2 teaspoons of boric powder.
- Mix a teaspoon of sterile water to it
- Mix well to make a paste
- Apply the paste on closed eyelids
- After 1o minutes, rinse off the eyelids.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast?
8. Coconut oil- If you suffer from allergic conjunctivitis every year, which although gets cleared up in 2 to 3 days with or without medicines you must be looking for some effective solution to provide some ease during that time. Put 2 drops of coconut oil in each eye and you will be amazed at the results. Not only the discharge reduces, but also itching and pain.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus
9. Rose water- The most uncomfortable thing about the pink eye is the gritty sensation that makes you restless. To get rid of it try rose water. It provides a cooling and soothing effect. Just pour a few drops of it in both the eyes. It may burn for a second, but this is followed by immediate relief.
These are the only home remedies, we know to get rid of pink eyes. If you know some more do share them with us.
Do remember, viral and bacterial conjunctivitis is highly contagious. It is better to avoid public places during this period. Make sure to wash your hands at regular intervals and do keep your personal belonging separate from other family members to prevent the infection from spreading.
References : naturalremedyideas.com | healtreatcure.org