Stomach flu ( Stomach Virus ) is also known as viral gastroenteritis and is a common intestinal infection due to ingestion of contaminated food or water. It may also spread by contact with the contaminated person. It is marked by following symptoms:
- Watery diarrhea.
- Pain in abdominal
- Occasionally low-grade fever
- Abdominal cramps.
- Occasionally headache and muscle ache
Above mentioned symptoms may last up to 10 days. In the case of infants, old and immune-compromised people it can be serious and may lead to dehydration and can be fatal. See a doctor if stomach flu prevails even after 10 days or in the case of high fever and signs of dehydration. Signs of dehydration are increased thirst, dry mouth and skin, sunken eyes and little or no urination in 24 hours. Dehydration is a medical condition that may be fatal and may lead to death. keep yourself hydrated during stomach virus to prevent dehydration. In this article, we will discuss how to get rid of a stomach virus.
Top 12 Home Remedies For Stomach Flu – Get Rid Of Stomach Virus
Stomach flu is a viral disease. Antibiotics and other medicines are not much help in its treatment. Below are few home remedies for stomach flu:
1. Ice chips – Diarrhea, vomiting and sweating in stomach flu may lead to dehydration. To prevent dehydration, it is important to drink plenty of fluids. Most of the patients suffering from gastroenteritis find it difficult to keep fluids down. Ice chips that are smaller than ice cubes are a perfect substitute to fluids. Chew or suck ice chips at regular interval to keep your body hydrated.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Sore Throat
2. Rice water – Boil half cup of rice, preferably brown rice in 3 cups of water on moderate heat. Remember not to add salt. Cook for about 45 minutes till the rice gets tender. Remove rice water from heat and strain the leftover water with the help of a cheesecloth. Cool rice water and give it to the person suffering from stomach virus. You can also store rice water in the refrigerator and use it throughout the day. This is a great home remedy for gastroenteritis and is a high source of electrolytes. Rice water is also rich in essential nutrients. Rice water restores the body salts and prevents dehydration. It is very useful for babies and small children. In children give 4oz of rice water every four hours till symptoms subside.
3. Banana for stomach flu – Banana is rich in potassium and thus restores potassium lost in diarrhea. Banana contains a fiber, pectin that eases symptoms of diarrhea. Banana also strengthens the linings of the stomach. Banana is the best fruit to be given in stomach flu until symptoms disappear completely.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Cough
4. Coconut water – Coconut water is rich in potassium and other minerals. It is a great substitute for plain water and keeps the body hydrated during stomach virus.
5. Yogurt – Dairy products are not a good option during the stomach flu. But yogurt contains probiotics. Probiotics are the good bacteria that help to bring the digestive system back to the track. During stomach upset it is better to consume yogurt without adding sugar to it.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections
6. Ginger – Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. It is a natural remedy to relieve pain in stomach and nausea. It also aids digestion. Drinking ginger tea or chewing ginger root can be of great help to relieve the symptoms of stomach flu. You may also add ginger to other foods either in powder form or grated form.
7. Red tea and fennel – Red tea is also known as Rooibos tea soothes the digestive system. On other hand fennel is a natural medicine for indigestion and the bloating of the stomach. Have a cup of red tea or Fennel if your stomach is upset. These two effectively relieves from indigestion, waterbrash, belching, and flatulence.
You can also check out : Home Remedies For Constipation
8. Toast – Burnt toast soaks the toxins. It is the best food to have in stomach flu.
9. Apple cider vinegar with honey – Take 1 cup of warm water, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey to it. This solution is very helpful to relieve from stomach ache and gas.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Milia?
10. Peppermint – Peppermint is known to reduce stomach ache and also aids the digestion. Peppermint can be chewed or used as an ingredient in tea in stomach virus.
11. Apple sauce in stomach flu – Applesauce contains pectin that eases diarrhea. It is high in carbohydrate and sugars and thus boosts energy. Apple sauce is recommended in diarrhea, especially for kids as it is easy to digest
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Scabies Fast?
12. White rice – White rice unlike brown rice is less in fiber and is easy to digest thus can be given during stomach flu.
Few Tips & Tricks For Preventing The Stomach Flu
Above mentioned home remedies are easily available at home and effectively manages the symptoms of stomach flu Please keep in mind:
1. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration due to stomach flu. One may have plain water or sports drink. Infants should be given Oral Rehydration Solution to restore the loss of electrolytes.
2. Avoid caffeinated drinks like strong coffee, black tea, soft drinks, alcohol, and chocolate drinks as they could cause more stomach upset.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Love Handles?
3. Avoid spicy and fatty foods as they can enhance the symptoms of gastroenteritis.
4. Avoid fibrous foods such as whole grains and vegetable soup during stomach flu as they can be hard on the digestion.
5. Take plenty of rest and reduce your activities during stomach virus as your body needs the energy to fight against infection.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Bruise?
Prevention is always better than cure. Make a habit to wash your hands before and after eating and at regular intervals.clean vegetables and fruits before consuming.
Stomach flu is a viral disease so antibiotics and other medications are not of much help to get rid of the symptom. Antibiotics may hamper our digestion and it may take a long time for the digestive system to get back on track. By simple home remedies, gastroenteritis is treated and well as prevented from getting worse. These home remedies are natural, without any side effects on our body and boosts our immunity and digestive functions.