Mostly when we suffer from any health issue or ailment such as body aches, fever, common cold etc.. We rush for over to the counter drugs and take conventional medicines to relieve the symptoms. But, very few of us have knowledge about cedarwood essential oil, which is an easy and effective alternative to ease the symptoms of most of the ailments.
Cedarwood essential oil has been around us for a very long time. Even it has been mentioned in the bible. In fact, it is thought to be the very first oil that has been extracted from the mother nature. About cedar trees, it is mentioned in the bible that they are symbols wisdom, abundance, and protection.
How Cedarwood Essential Oil Is Extracted?
If you are wondering how is it extracted, let me tell you that cedarwood essential oil is extracted through the process of steam distillation of the bark of cedar trees. This gives it an intense woody aroma and amber or a pale yellow hue.
Properties Of Cedarwood Essential Oil
1. Cedarwood essential oil possess anti-fungal, antibacterial, astringent, sedative and diuretic properties. Apart from this it also exhibits stabilizing property and is known as grounding oil.
2. Like other essential oils, cedarwood essential oil also has a calming aroma because of which it is used in aromatherapy, as an insect repellent, deodorant, and air fresheners.
You can also check out : Health Benifits of Peppermint Essential Oil
3. Apart from this, it is very frequently and effectively used for the respiratory system, nervous system as well as the urinary system.
4. During ancient times Egyptians used it in embalming practices. Native Americans have been using it for centuries for medicinal and cosmetic benefits. Even today it is used to heal the body as well as to provide emotional balance. It contains alpha-cedrene, beta-cedrene, widdrol, cedrol, sesquiterpenes and thujopsene. These components contribute towards its medicinal values and health benefits.
Below in the article is the list of some more health benefits of cedarwood essential oil in detail.
Health Benefits Of Cedarwood Essential Oil
This oil possesses all over health benefits. Its advantages are not just concentrated to its medicinal properties but it is also very effective in skin care and certain skin ailments. It improves the skin, promotes the function of organs, tightens muscles, enhances body metabolism and improves digestion. Being diuretic it flushes out the toxins and prevents from several diseases such as urinary tract infection, diabetes, hypertension, and obesity. Besides this, it also has a calming and relaxing effect on the body and mind and wards off the stress. The smell of this oil is also known for its aphrodisiac properties. Let us have a brief discussion on the uses and benefits of Cedarwood essential oil.
1. Relieves stress– Cedarwood essential oil has a soothing and calming effect on both, body and the mind. It relieves stress and anxiety. Being sedative, it not only relieves tension but also induces sleep and relaxes the mind. Its woody smell promotes the secretion of the serotonin. This hormone enhances mood. In the brain, it converts into melatonin that improves sleep, gives a positive feeling and keeps you calm.
Research on rats shows that cedrol present in it decreases the motor activity in them and their sleeping rate increased.
If you are suffering from depression and chronic stress then go for Cedarwood oil aromatherapy to trigger the endorphins, which will ease your symptoms. You may also inhale it directly from the bottle. Pour a few drops on a piece of cloth, place the cloth over your nose and take a deep breath.
2. Hair care- Cedarwood essential oil stimulates and strengthens the hair roots and follicles and promotes blood circulation of the scalp. If you are suffering from hair fall and baldness, do massage your scalp regularly with this oil after diluting it with a carrier oil for example jojoba oil. In few months, your hair will become thick and long. You can add its few drops to your hair oil, shampoo, and conditioner. If you add it to the oil, then have an oil massage for 20 minutes and leave overnight and in the case of shampoo, massage for 5 minutes, leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. It also controls oil and grease, wards off dandruff, prevents itching and removes the dryness of the scalp. The best part is that, till now no side effects have been reported and it is considered safe to add it to everyday hair care.
You can also check out : Health Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
3. Skin- You can use cedarwood essential oil to treat and prevent acne. Besides unclogging the skin pores, it also protects intrusion by harmful bacteria.
You may add two drops of this oil to your face wash, soap, face creams, and lotion. Apply it daily to prevent and treat acne. Add 2 drops of it to oatmeal to make a facial scrub. It can also reduce inflammation, skin irritation, skin pealing and treats the fungal infection.
Being antiseptic it also relieves eczema, skin rashes and psoriasis.
* Do not to use it in the case of any open rash or broken skin.
4. Relieves pain- It reduces inflammation and the stiffness of the joints. Add a few drops of this oil to your bath water to ease your symptoms. If you are suffering from muscle soreness, you may add it with some carrier oil like jojoba oil or coconut oil and have a massage to relax and soothe muscles.
5. Tightens skin and muscles– The astringent property cedarwood essential oil makes muscles and skin firmer. Also, it rejuvenates cells and tones your body.
You can also check out : How To Get Rid Of Milia?
6. Digestion- Having astringent properties it hardens the digestive system’s muscles and treats diarrhea and other stomach issues.
7. Respiratory infections- If you are suffering from phlegm in throat and chest, try steam inhalation after adding a few drops of cedarwood essential oil to the steaming water. You may also rub 2 drops of this oil on chest and throat after diluting it with a carrier for example a jojoba oil to relieve chest congestion and cough.
8. Regulates menstrual cycle– Cedarwood essential oil has emmenagogue properties. It promotes blood flow and treats any irregularity related to menstruation. Also, it is helpful in curing premenstrual and menstrual symptoms such as fatigue, nausea, and mood swings. It also relieves stomach ache.
The benefits of cedarwood essential oil are not just limited to emotional and physical benefits. It also have a spiritual effect which makes a person more confident and strong.
Like other essential oil, it is very potent and there are certain precautions that you need to know before using. Below are a few points to be kept in mind:
- Use of Cedarwood essential oil is not advised for pregnant woman and young children.
- Do not ingest this oil or it may cause nausea, vomiting and damage to the digestive system.
- Individual with skin sensitivity, hypertension and diabetes should avoid it.
- Always have a patch test before using it topically.
However, for most of the people, Cedarwood essential is a boon and treats most of the ailments if used in diluted form. So add it to your first aid box and medical cabinets and exploit its health benefits.
References : organicfacts.net | healthyfocus.org